Saturday, September 06, 2008

Worship thoughts

I was reading some other blogs I like and through following some links seemed to notice a reoccurring theme among worship leaders and people involved in worship gatherings. There's something missing or at least lacking. One of the bloggers asked the question is worship through music still a legitimate way to worship. I say yes. Without question music has always played a part in worship. Not just in the Church since Christ but even in the Old Testament there were psalms, and spiritual songs to be sung. This part of the discussion is not really an issue for me, because the precedence is there. This is not to say that we may be able to add other forms of expression into our worship. Ways to practice the words we sing or at least take the scripture more to heart. The power of corporate singing is to me an important part of our experience as a community with God. For me the issue is the words. Now once again please read this knowing this is my own opinion which means not everyone will agree and I guess I wonder if anyone else feels the same way. The words in many of our modern hymns are just lacking and as I write my own music I am struggling with a major issue. How do I make the words authentic? What I mean is do we mean the things we sing. One of my new favorite shows is "Flight of the Conchords" which if you have never seen you need to watch. There is a scene in which the one character Bret is writing a song to his girlfriend about all the extravagant things he would do for her, like climb a mountain or swallow a sword. After a two hour opus it concludes with his mate Jermaine asking if he would actually do any of the crazy things he has just promised in the song. Bret realizes he wouldn't and Jermaine tells him to write a song with things he would actually do, like hang out with her or make dinner. I wonder how many of our worship songs are the same. I struggle in my writing to come up with lyrics that are reality. I am going to be as honest and real as I can here. I love God, and I love Christ for His sacrifice on the cross. I would consider my faith to not be in question at all. But there are many times in life where I am not just saying your awesome God, everything is perfect. It's just not reality. There are many times where, especially in the last two years, I have been screaming to the heavens for God to listen. There are other times were I have just marveled at the plan of God and almost laughed at how as soon as I let go of things, the things I have wished for have come to be. All this is too say I am afraid. I'm afraid that if i write a song of struggle or weakness people will not respond. I want to sing songs to God that are real. Things I would actually do. The way I really feel. Sometimes ecstatic for His love and other times struggling to see His hand. If I do will anyone sing along?

No comments:

I'm Too Young For This!

Music Player


Check out Mp3Crib.com to get your own music player.